Arrival and Taurasi
Meet at Naples airport at 12.00 (to coincide with the British Airways flight from London). Transfer by coach to Mirabello Eclano, a town in the province of Avellino. Lunch at a local restaurant. Continue to Taurasi for a tour and tasting at a local wine producer. Late afternoon check-in to our B&Bs in the town (1 night). Free evening to explore the town of Taurasi.
Taurasi and Avellino
This morning visit another Taurasi producer for a tour followed by tasting and lunch. After lunch continue towards the town of Avellino to a well-known producer, one of the leading wineries of Southern Italy who were in the forefront of reviving the wines of Campania. Late afternoon drive to Paestum and check-in at Savoy Beach Hotel, our base for the next 3 nights. Free evening to explore the town and try one of its many restaurants and trattorias.
Mozzarella, Wine and Agropoli
This morning learn about one of the specialities of the region – buffalo mozzarella! Visit an organic farm who produce the famous cheese, yoghurt and other dairy products. See the production process and then over lunch try many of their products.
This afternoon visit a wine estate in the province of Cilento for a tour and tasting, whose wines are imported to the UK by a prestigious wine merchant. Return to our hotel late afternoon for some time to relax before heading out for dinner at the nearby town of Agropoli. Dine at a local restaurant overlooking the sea accompanied by the wines of a local producer. Return to hotel.
This morning head to the beautiful hilltop town of Castellbate. Visit a winery for a tour of their vineyards and cellar. Continuing to the town, lunch at a local trattoria accompanied by the wines of the producer we just visited. Free time to explore the town before heading back to the hotel late afternoon.
Early evening there will be a tasting in the hotel of wines from a biodynamic producer who are under the same ownership as the hotel. The rest of the evening is free to dine in the hotel or at a local restaurant.
Temples of Paestum and Farewell Lunch
After breakfast check-out and drive to the nearby temples of Paestum for a tour of the remarkable archaeological site. After a tour with a private guide free time to explore the temples. Meet up for the final group lunch at a restaurant overlooking the temples. Mid-afternoon drive back to Naples airport in time for the British Airways 19.15 flight to London Gatwick.
WINE GUIDE: This itinerary has been organised by Nina Cerullo who will be accompanying the group as Wine Guide. Nina is a member of the Association of Wine Educators, regularly teaches at the Wine & Spirit Education Trust and has a family house in Italy.
Please note that flights are not included in the cost of the tour so you will need to book your own travel to/from Naples airport. The recommended group flights are with British Airways:
- Tuesday 4th May BA 2608 departs London Gatwick 08.15 arrives Naples 12.00
- Saturday 8th May BA 2611 departs Naples 19.15 arrives London Gatwick 21.05
Transfers by coach from/to Naples airport will tie in with the above flights. If you make alternative travel arrangements meet at Naples airport in time for the incoming BA flight on 4th May. The tour will end at Naples airport around 17.30 on 8th May.
Travel throughout the tour will be in a comfortable, air-conditioned executive coach. On Day 4 we will need to use two smaller minibuses.
We will be based in two different towns for this tour:
- Taurasi (1 night): accommodation will be at various B&B properties within walking distance of the main square and restaurants. All rooms will be en-suite and breakfast will be served at your B&B.
- Paestum (3 nights): Savoy Beach Hotel. Located 750 metres away from its own private beach and 2kms from the archaeological ruins, this 5-star hotel has spacious, air conditioned en-suite rooms which feature wifi and satellite TV. Many come with a terrace or balcony overlooking the outdoor swimming pool or Paestum. There is a gastronomic restaurant, Tre Olivi, and a more informal brasserie. Accommodation will be in Superior or Privilege rooms.
- £1,050 per person sharing a double or twin room.
- Ground transport throughout in a spacious, air-conditioned executive coach (minibuses on Day 4)
- Four nights’ accommodation with breakfast (1 night at a Taurasi B&B + 3 nights at 5 star Hotel Savoy Beach, Paestum) sharing a double or twin room with en-suite facilities.
- Five lunches and one dinner with wine
- Tours and tastings at 5 wineries + tastings of wines of 2 other wineries
- Visit to a mozzarella producer
- Entrance tickets and a private guided tour at the temples of Paestum
- Services of Wine Guide and Italian expert Nina Cerullo and a Tour Guide from Criterion Wine Tours.
- Single occupancy of a double/twin room (limited number of single rooms available): £150
A non-refundable deposit of £262.50 per person is payable when booking. The remaining balance is due eight weeks before the start of the tour. Your money will be held in a secure Client Deposit Account and is fully protected.
COVID NOTICE: If this tour is not able to go ahead because of restrictions (*) due to the coronavirus pandemic, it will be postponed to a later date. You will have the option of either transferring your booking to the new dates with no change fee OR receiving a full refund of all monies paid.
* This means where travel to the destination would contravene the travel advice issued by the UK FCDO (Foreign & Commonwealth Development Office)